Tuesday 20 May 2014

Goodbye to second year!

So after weeks of sleepless nights, thousands of attempts of essays, printers breaking and living off of microwavable mash, deadline day has been and gone and the second year of university is officially over!

Second year for me was more of an emotional journey than the first year, as our flat saw laughter, tears, happiness, sadness, anger and at times pure bitchiness but of course, with a flat of 8 girls what would you expect. I moved up to Cambridge in the first year as a newly turned 18 year old single girl and I had a blast having fun in a very hungover freshers week but the second time round was verrrrry different. Having been with Mitch for nearly a year and spending every single day with him over the summer meant that spending a week at a time apart was practically a form of torture (slight exaggeration I know.) I felt ten times more homesick than I had in first year and clubbing just wasn't for me anymore. I'll be the first person to admit that I excluded myself by spending more time in my room watching tv than anywhere else, but I'm really not very good at meeting new people, especially when all I want is to be back at home. 

We still had a lot of fun times all living together and my friendship with Emily and Laura grew even stronger. There were moments where we all needed a shoulder to cry on and that's exactly what we had in each other. We had our moments of drama of course, but looking back at them now they're all quite amusing, and no where as dramatic as first year, where walls were punched and stalls were thrown (dont ask!) 

Work wise, things got a lot tougher as the word counts stepped up a notch and assignments got more complicated but I enjoyed the classes and took and enjoyed making new friends. I spent hours in experimental writing obsessing over One Direction with Danielle and interrogating her on every question I ever had about America (concluding that one day I will go out and visit her there.) 

It's been a grueling year with ladybird infestations, cold showers, an awful diet of microwave meals and a lot of teary phone calls to home but I survived! Third year, come at me!

Love Lauryn x

No comments:

Post a Comment